Technology is a rapidly growing, high-demand "necessity" of modern life. In an effort to keep up with technology, we apply the following principles to its use:
- The IT department must be aware of all devices a student has in his possession.
- All devices that use the Fairhaven network will be filtered. Access to the Internet is only after authentication.
- All computers, tablets, and phones must have Covenant Eyes installed.
- A list of social networking sites utilized must be submitted at the start of each semester. Read the full social networking policy here.
What technology should I bring to campus? What should I buy?
- It is not necessary to bring your own computer or printer to campus. Approximately 75% of students do bring their own personal computers with them, but it is not necessary. There is a computer lab in the library as well as printers.
- If you are bringing your own computer, it is up to you to decide whether you want to bring your own printer. The library computer lab offers black-and-white printing only.
- Some people do appreciate the convenience of having their own printer in their room; remember that you will need to provide your own paper and toner for your personal printer.
Will I have internet access? Is there a charge?
- Filtered internet access is available on FBC's network. Filtering is provided by CIPAFilter.
- All students will also be provided with a Covenant Eyes account. Covenant Eyes provides accountability for students to parents, pastors, and college staff.
- There is no additional charge for using Fairhaven's high speed network. The cost of this access is part of your student services fee.
Where is wireless internet access available on campus?
- Wireless Internet access is available freely throughout the library and snack shop in the multi-purpose building. Internet access is not available throughout the academic building or dorms.
Does Fairhaven require or provide anti-virus software?
- We strongly recommend that you obtain and install anti-virus software on your computer. Many good free options exist, however, we prefer AVG.
- Fairhaven does not currently provide anti-virus software to personally-owned computers. Each individual is responsible for obtaining his own.
- Set up the program to automatically update virus definitions and scan your computer as well as removable devices.
- Due to the rise in attacks, we strongly suggest everybody use anti-malware programs such as Malwarebytes.org, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, or Windows Defender to protect your computer against malware and spyware.
When do I get my username, password, and email address? When do I need to start checking email?
- You will receive this information once you arrive. At that time, you may request the username and password for access to the student website provided by Schoology.com
- You can check your email at http://mail.fairhavenbaptist.org after you first login and change your password. Since email is an official form of communication, announcements from professors and staff regarding course activities or other official college business may come through email. It is a good idea to check for messages regularly.
What about social networking?
- While some people find this to be a useful avenue of communication, it is also riddled with dangers ranging from wasting time to moral compromise.
- In light of the proven and potential dangers of social networking sites, Fairhaven Baptist College has adopted the following rules for their use by its students: All social networking sites that a student utilizes will be accessible at any time by the dorm supervisors and staff (if a dorm student). A list of social network sites utilized must be submitted at the start of each semester.
- If at any time the use of a social networking site is found to be detrimental to a student’s personal, mental, or spiritual well-being, he must agree to withdraw himself from that account. A parent, pastor, dorm supervisor, or the Dean of Students may make this assessment.
- View the entire social networking policy here.
What if I have trouble with...?
- The IT Help Desk is your first point of contact for any technology-related issues or questions you may have. The IT Help Desk can assist with most challenges you may encounter on your personal computer, either Mac or PC. IT can solve various connectivity and software-related problems and can help you get connected with the right people if you are experiencing trouble with campus technology.
- The librarian may or may not be able to answer your question.
- You may also send an email with your question to firstname.lastname@example.org any time and your request will be addressed as soon as possible.
What software should I buy? Are there any discounts available for me to purchase software or equipment?
- Most students will be able to complete all outside work using their account at http://docs.fairhavenbaptist.org. However, many students like to use their computers in class, and wireless access is not available in classrooms. In that case, a paid alternative is recommended. Microsoft OneNote is a favorite of many students for note-taking.
- Fairhaven does not have any arrangements with software manufacturers for discounted software. We recommend you check sites such as http://www.academicsuperstore.com or http://www.studica.com for good deals on student software.
- Most equipment vendors such as Dell, Apple, and others offer educational discounts to students. Check their websites for updated offers. DO NOT buy "Office University." Since Fairhaven is not an accredited university, we cannot provide an activation code for that product.
Will I have to pay for printing?
- There will be a 5 cent charge for any copies or pages printed over five each day. Students may print two copies of papers for classes at no charge.
- This means that the first 5 copies or pages printed are free. Any more are $.05 each.
- "Papers" means reports and term papers, NOT special projects, notes, homework assignments, or rough drafts.
Are there any student employment opportunities in the IT department?
- Not at this time, but throughout the course of the year, volunteers will be needed for some projects. Send a message to the helpdesk if you are interested.