What technology should I bring to campus? What should I buy?
- It is not necessary to bring your own computer or printer to campus. Approximately 75% of students do bring their own personal computers with them, but it is not necessary. There is a computer lab in the library as well as printers.
- If you are bringing your own computer, it is up to you to decide whether you want to bring your own printer. The library computer lab offers black-and-white printing only.
- Some people do appreciate the convenience of having their own printer in their room; remember that you will need to provide your own paper and toner for your personal printer.
Will I have internet access? Is there a charge?
- Filtered internet access is available on FBC's network. Filtering is provided by CIPAFilter.
- All students will also be provided with a Covenant Eyes account. Covenant Eyes provides accountability for students to parents, pastors, and college staff.
- There is no additional charge for using Fairhaven's high speed network. The cost of this access is part of your student services fee.
Where is wireless internet access available on campus?
- Wireless internet access is available freely throughout the library and snack shop in the multi-purpose building.
Does Fairhaven require or provide anti-virus software?
- We strongly recommend that you obtain and install anti-virus software on your computer. Many good free options such as AVG, Avast, Avira, and Kaspersky are available. Fairhaven does not currently provide anti-virus software to personally-owned computers. Set up the program to automatically update virus definitions and scan your computer. Also, use anti-malware programs such as Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, or Windows Defender to protect your computer against malware and spyware.
When do I get my username, password, and email address? When do I need to start checking email?
- You should receive an email with your email account username and password during the month before the semester starts. At that time, you may request the username and password for access to the student website.
- You can check your email at http://mail.fairhavenbaptist.org after you first login and change your password. Since email is an official form of communication, announcements from professors and staff regarding course activities or other official college business may come through email. It is a good idea to check for messages regularly.
What about social networking?
- While some people find this to be a useful avenue of communication, it is also riddled with dangers ranging from wasting time to moral compromise.
- Many good pastors have told us that at their Christian schools, no student is permitted to be a member of a social networking site. Such is the case at our Christian day school, Fairhaven Baptist Academy.
- In light of the proven and potential dangers of social networking sites, Fairhaven Baptist College has adopted the following rules for their use by its students:
1. The only social networking site allowed is Facebook (no MySpace, etc.).
2. One of our assistant pastors, Dr. Jeff Voegtlin, must be a "friend" of each student using Facebook.
3. Students must submit written permission from their parents/guardians and their pastor to use Facebook while enrolled. (Town students must obtain this permission from Dr. Jeff Voegtlin.)
4. Abuse of these guidelines will result in the suspension of all internet privileges. Continued disregard will end in expulsion.
What if I have trouble with...?
- The IT Help Desk is your first point of contact for any technology-related issues or questions you may have. The IT Help Desk can assist with most challenges you may encounter on your personal computer, either Mac or PC. IT can solve various connectivity and software-related problems and can help you get connected with the right people if you are experiencing trouble with campus technology.
- The librarian may or may not be able to answer your question.
- You may also send an email with your question to firstname.lastname@example.org any time and your request will be addressed as soon as possible.
What software should I buy? Are there any discounts available for me to purchase software or equipment?
- Most students will be able to complete all outside work using their account at http://docs.fairhavenbaptist.org. However, many students like to use their computers in class, and wireless access is not available in classrooms. Microsoft OneNote is a favorite of many students for note-taking.
- Fairhaven does not have any arrangements with software manufacturers for discounted software. We recommend you check sites such as http://www.academicsuperstore.com or http://www.studica.com for good deals on student software.
- Most equipment vendors such as Dell, Apple, and others offer educational discounts to students. Check their websites for updated offers.
Will I have to pay for printing?
- There will be a 5 cent charge for any copies or pages printed over five each day. Students may print two copies of papers for classes at no charge.
- This means that the first 5 copies or pages printed are free. Any more are $.05 each.
- "Papers" means reports and term papers, NOT special projects, notes, homework assignments, or rough drafts.
Are there any student employment opportunities in the IT department?
- Not at this time, but throughout the course of the year, volunteers will be needed for some projects. Send a message to the helpdesk if you are interested.